Amy (Turck) Weiss passed away in November, 2019, at the age of 51. Amy was born and raised in Cincinnati and graduated from the University of Cincinnati with a degree in accounting. She spent her early twenties working overseas where she met the love of her life, Doug Weiss. They were married in Cincinnati then lived in Hawaii, San Francisco and Boston before moving to Philadelphia, where they had three daughters. The family then settled in Cincinnati where Amy devoted her life to raising her three girls. Amy cherished her family and enjoyed every moment with them. She was a friend to everyone she met, and her smile would light up the room.
Amy was very active volunteering in her community and with the Girl Scouts of America. Amy was a Girl Scout growing up, then became a Girl Scout leader for all three of her daughter’s troops. She was also a generous mentor to other Girl Scout leaders in the community. Service to others was very important to Amy – it was a central part of the activities she organized for her Girl Scout troops, and for herself. She loved traveling abroad and sharing the world with her daughters and husband. She always enjoyed being outdoors hiking, biking, paddle boarding, or doing any activity that would connect her with nature.
The Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship has been established to honor Amy’s life and her commitment to service and the Girl Scout community.
Recipients of the Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship must:
- Be a Girl Scout upon, or have been one at, her high school graduation date and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of her graduation.
- Be a resident of the Greater Cincinnati area.
- Be attending, or planning to attend, a 2- or 4-year accredited, non-proprietary college or university in the continental United States.
- Complete and submit an application, which can be found on the Cincinnati Scholarship Foundation website: cincinnatischolarshipfoundation.org, by April 30.
- Once the application has been reviewed by the Cincinnati Scholarship Foundation and eligibility has been established, applicants will be asked to submit 1) a recommendation from their current or former Girl Scout leader, and 2) a 500-word essay on “What I have gained from being a Girl Scout”.
- Preference will be given to those with a history of involvement with the Girl Scouts and a record of service to others.
The recipients of the Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship will be chosen by the Cincinnati Scholarship Foundation in cooperation with the members of the Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship selection committee. Financial need will only be taken into consideration if there is a “tie” between candidates. The scholarship award is not automatically renewable, but recipients are permitted to reapply each year.
Tax-deductible donations to The Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship Fund can be sent to the Cincinnati Scholarship Foundation, 324 East 4th Street, 2nd Floor, Cincinnati, OH, 45202. Donations can also be made online with a credit card or PayPal account at: www.cincinnatischolarshipfoundation.org. Please be sure to note that the donation is for the Amy Weiss Memorial Scholarship Fund, or write simply, “Amy Weiss”.
To donate to this fund,